More images available. Click any image to view the
Gruene Homestead Inn Description:
Gruene Homestead Inn is a collection of historic houses in the community of New Braunfels, featuring rooms and suites dating from the 1850's to the early 1900's. Owners Ed and Billie Miles retired from public school administration in San Antonio in the early 1990's and fell in love with New Braunfels and the Gruene Historical District. Inspired by the history of the area and the idea to develop a Bed and Breakfast, they began to locate historic homes in the New Braunfels and Gruene area and move them to their 8-acre "homestead." With help from brothers, sisters, sons, daughters, cousins, nieces and nephews, vintage buildings have been renovated to reflect the ambiance of their era and to provide modern-day comforts to guests. There are currently 7 buildings with 21 guest units on the 8 acres located less than a mile from the Gruene Historical District.
The Faust House is the flagship of the 8-acre homestead and is familiar in New Braunfels as "the house that has moved around town." Built in the early 1900's, it was originally located in the downtown area of New Braunfels. Today it sits fully restored on the main Homestead property after being moved three times during its almost 1OO years of existence.
The Farmhouse was occupied as late as 1940 and was used more recently by Edwin Hanz as a barn to house livestock and to store feed. The Miles family undertook a project of immense proportions when they set out to "fix it up." They meticulously restored as much of the original structure as possible, inside and out, and have decorated the five units and the small grain storage barn (The Cabin) with country antiques including four-poster beds and mirrored bureaus. The Farmhouse is a genuine piece of Texas heritage and colonial history that leaves a lasting impression of a bygone era on visitors. The Texas House and the Rose Cottage are similar to each other in history and style as both were constructed in the 1890's as part of Comal Town on the Comal River. These houses were moved from their original locations on Union Street in 1995 and 1998 respectively.
The Country House is an example of the classic form of Greek Revival style popular in the early 1900's. The addition of dormers and wrap-around porches brought harmony, dignity, and elegance to the simple farmhouse. Originally part of the Landa Ranch and known by local folks as the Brodt House, the Country House joined the other homes in 1995. After extensive renovation, this house now offers four unique guest suites - one of which meets ADA requirements.
At A Glance:
- 21 Rooms
- No Pets